السبت، 27 سبتمبر 2014

تَخاريف نُص مِيتر عَقلُه طَار (9) - My Hijab

I read the news about the female Qatari team being banned from participating in the Asian games for being Hijabis, early in the morning. Why am  not surprised this is what the global community supports?! 

I wrote about this before and here I am writing about it again for the millionth time. :/ To those unaware of what I am talking about, we, veiled girls, are not allowed in some social places, to be appointed in many positions nor to participate in many sports (although we are qualified) just for being a Hijabi! :(

Today, I was kicked out of the pool area because I am a Hijabi. The classy club has a 'written policy' which does not allow Hijabi ladies to enter 'outdoor pool' but only the 'indoor pool.' In other words, other members who take tan don't like seeing us around, so we are reluctantly allowed to hide indoors where no one else goes. :/

I then immediately called my parents seeking support. Instead of finding support, they freaked out as any other parent in this stupid country. They simply asked me not to report the incident. Frankly, I could't blame them. This country is full of too much crap and we can't afford dealing with another one. I don't know which one hurts more; that I can't ask for those simple rights as a normal human being practicing her religion, or that my parents were angry that I was angry in the first place?!!! :/

Apparently some people either feel they know better when it comes to what is good for us to be classy. Or maybe they just do not want to see that thing we cover our heads with or they feel “it makes people around uncomfortable.” I do not know which excuse is more disturbing. Bottom line, being a Hijabi is something to be ashamed of in Egypt, and blackmailing people is the mainstream trend!

Either way, why does this bother me and why am I writing this? Well apparently, I am fed up with the attempts to create a certain class image about the Hijab. Ladies should be the ones to decide whether they want to participate in a sport or to go hang out in a social place, or go to the pool where they are members, and not just being banned automatically. It astonishes me how in an era where everyone advocates for all kinds of freedom, yet you find the organizers of the sports games banning Hijabi girls from participating! You switch your TV to find no Hijabis. You look for Hijabi politicians, you can rarely recognize someone. Not just that, many work places still specify “unveiled” as a requirement. Why do you care if you see my hair or not. The world is certainly creating an image that does not match reality. Whether the veil is religiously required or unnecessary, whether its faith or simply culture, why does it bother you?

Lately, some people (including friends) have been sharing images comparing eras before and after the spread of the veil. These self claiming feminists reminisce with sorrow over the past ages where women were "free" and "empowered." Quick question: Isn't it degrading when you assume that women were brainwashed? And that they ought to listen to you and learn from you the proper way and proper dress to be empowered? Some times expressed implicitly, other times explicitly, sadly, even in the twenty first century, some still view the veil as an indication of class and oppression. This is why we still do not have veiled diplomats or famous Hijabi sports players, and this is why the organizer of the Asian games thinks they can tell the Qatari team when and when not to join the matches! This is why the international sports rules dictate that anything except for shorts and shirts is prohibited! This is why a well known successful Tunisian handball player have not participated with her team in the world cup until this moment!

The experience of seeing the negative side of wearing a Hijab is hurtful. The oppression and the stereo-typical judgment that are associated with Hijab is not nice. Hijab promotes something deeper than being judged physically but rather based on our intellectual abilities. While I understand that the question of Hijab has been and will probably continue to be a controversy, people need to respect others' choices. There are many people out there who will think I am crazy for saying that the wearing of a Hijab is a woman’s right.  While I do not doubt that there are some Muslim women who dress the way they do solely because of the requirements of their culture, who would prefer to not wear the Hijab, I believe that the majority of Muslim women who wear the Hijab feel quite comfortable doing so. In fact, they would not have it any other way. :) I realize that there are Muslim societies where the women are required to wear all black and cover themselves from hear to toe. But the Muslim ladies that I have gotten to know from Egypt and are in other countries around the world (including the UK, Canada, Malaysia, Brazil, India and Dubai) are different. Through them I have been able to see a different side of being a Hijabi, a Muslim and a woman. :) 

We need to stop assuming that wearing Hijab means a woman is a second-class citizen. We are human beings. and under the scarfs that Hijabi wear, we have feelings and we do much care. The question for us was never "WHY?" .. It is much more deeper than this .. It is "FOR WHOM?"

#مش_من_حقك_تمنعني  #MyJihad #MyHijab #‏مُستوحي_من_مقالة_قرئتها_منذ_فترة



Photo credit: Layla Mosleh



ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق